What are sprayers? Choose the best traveling lawn sprinkler. This is a garden equipment that is useful in the garden, vegetable garden, vineyards and greenhouses. They can be used for a variety of tasks that have one goal – to improve yields and protect plants from pests. This equipment is available even to amateurs and novice users. There are also professional models for use on an industrial scale.
What are garden sprayers used for?
- If the soil cannot fully meet the plant’s need for nutrients, it is necessary to make up for this deficiency. Sprayers make it possible to feed the plantings, improving their growth.
- Spraying special formulations on plants allows you to eliminate pathogenic bacteria. Plants are less sick, give a better harvest, are safe for human consumption.
- Sprayers are also used for pest control. Insects and rodents that devour plants can cause significant damage to the crop, so they must be dealt with.
- In case of drought, the technique is used to spray water. Unlike other applications that use a variety of chemicals, only clean water is required for irrigation.
The design features of this equipment may vary depending on the type of sprayer, but the general principle remains the same. Air is pumped into the device with the help of a pump, which is then thrown outward, capturing liquid with it. There are two options for where exactly the air is pumped:
- In a container with the chemical itself or water.
- In a separate container.
The second option is safer, as if equipment breaks down or compressed air overflows, the chemicals will remain inside the sprayer and will not explode with the air.
The liquid enters the tube through a hose connected to the container. The jet itself exits through the funnel (nozzle). Another important detail is the filter. The durability of the device depends on the quality of the filtration of the liquid.
Air pumping mechanism
- In pneumatic sprayers, air is manually pumped inward using a pump or lever. This requires some physical effort, however, due to the small volume of the tank in such models, air can be injected manually.
- In battery models and sprayers with internal combustion engines, air is pumped in automatic mode. Their great advantage is that the outlet pressure remains constant due to the continuous operation of the electric or gasoline engine. The operator can use up a large volume of the balloon without significant physical effort.
To choose the right sprayer, you need to understand what types of this equipment are, and on what grounds they are divided among themselves.
By the presence of capacity
There are capacitive and capacityless sprayers. Capacitives are equipped with a tube that goes into an external reservoir. Capacitive devices are more convenient, as they allow you to quickly transfer yourself to any place.
By type of food
There are three types of sprayers, which differ in the mechanism for pumping air into the container. Each of them has its own characteristics and nuances that must be considered when choosing and using.
These are the smallest sprayers. Air is pumped into them using a built-in hand pump or a lever. When manually pumping air, the entire brush works, and not just fingers – this favorably distinguishes such equipment from ordinary spray guns.
There are also lever sprayers. Their advantage lies in the fact that they can be worn on the shoulders using special shoulder straps. The location of the pump handle allows pumping without removing the sprayer. The lever can be installed on both sides of the sprayer. Backpack sprayers have a larger tank capacity than those that have to be handled.
The air in cordless sprayers is pumped by an electric motor powered by a rechargeable battery. This automates the process, so you don’t have to waste energy working with a pump or lever. To understand which cordless sprayer is better, you need to pay attention to battery capacity, tank capacity and machine weight.
The use of a battery makes electric sprayer models mobile. Although the operator has to hold the battery and engine with the tank, this is a very popular equipment option. A tank with an increased volume makes it possible to process large areas of plantations.
Combustion engine models (two-stroke or four-stroke) are the most powerful hand sprayers available. As a rule, they are used where it is necessary to process large areas, however, it is still impractical to use tractors with attachments. Gasoline sprayers are heavy equipment and have the largest tank capacity of the above models. The knapsack system helps take the strain off your hands, making them comfortable to use.
The classification, which is based on the size of the sprayer, is related to the division of equipment by type of supply. Sometimes it happens that the most important factor when choosing is not the environmental friendliness of equipment or comfort in use, but the area of the treated area. In this case, the sprayer can be matched to the size of the tank.
Small (up to 5 l)
Most often they are pump or lever. These are small size orchard sprayer models.
Medium (5 to 12 L)
They have one or two straps that allow you to carry them comfortably. The capacity of the tank of these sprayers is enough to process a plot of several hundred square meters. They are also actively used in greenhouses.
Large (up to 25 l)
Due to their heavyweight, these sprayers can only be found in a knapsack or on wheels. Their volume is sufficient for working with large gardens or plots. They are often a good alternative to tractors with attachments. Large sprayers are powered by an engine (electric or internal combustion).